ESPON - Survey to capture the provision of cross-border public services in Europe
The ESPON 2020 Cooperation Programme is undertaking a study on the territorial dimension of the provision of cross-border public services (CPS) in Europe.
A territorially balanced access to affordable public services of general interest is an important aspect of the Lisbon Treaty’s territorial cohesion objective that also gained importance under the EU’s current Cohesion Policy.
Since EU border regions are particularly affected by challenges to ensure affordable public service access, the study is supported by the Association of European Border Regions (AEBR).
The objective of this study is to provide an overview of main features of CPS provision at EU borders, to highlight potential territorial problems related to CPS provision and to identify future needs in this field.
You can participate in the survey by completing our online questionnaire available in EN, FR, DE, SI, DK.
ESPON, the EU cooperation programme, and the Association of European Border Regions invite you to participate in a survey on the Cross-border Public Services (CPS).
In this context, we would like to point out that this survey is not about cross-border cooperation in itself, but about cross-border public services. Examples are:
- Joint public transport services by bus, rail and ferries
- Joint facilities or steady cooperation in the field of culture and cultural heritage
- Joint day-to-day healthcare and hospital care
- Schools with joint education, steady cooperation between schools and public authorities for facilitating the exchange/mobility of pupils and teachers
- Joint information and advice services facilitating the mobility of workers on the cross-border labour market and their access to neighbouring social insurance systems
- Joint digital service infrastructures and digital public services (incl. e-Government)
- Joint management of national parks, natural reserves, nature parks, landscape parks or conservation areas and geo-parks
- Joint treatment of solid waste and of sewage water, joint drinking water provision
- Joint flooding management
- Joint services providing advice to all citizens on cross-border matters and/or facilitating the administrative handling of “cross-border life events” of citizens
More fields and categories of CPS are listed in the survey.
The results of this survey are scheduled for publication in November 2018 and will be shared with all respondents.
For answering the survey you may select 6 different EU languages (English, German, French, Slovenian, Portuguese and Danish). The survey will be open until 15. March 2018. All responses will be kept confidential.
Click here to answer the survey: CPS Survey
Many thanks for your cooperation!